Market

The paper produced from Cartiera Giacosa S.p.A., is mainly used for producing plastic laminates.

The plastic laminate is a material commonly used in the furniture and furnishings as a coating of chipboard, MDF, veneered and more. If adequate thickness is used without support panels for cladding facades of buildings, garden furniture and urban, bathrooms and public offices.

One of the most common synonym for the thermoplastic laminate Formica is the term that identifies the homonymous historical manufacturer.

For laminate in the furniture industry means a sheet obtained pressing several layers of paper impregnated with phenolic or melamine resins.

In the most common version then the laminate is composed of an outer protective layer or exterior finishing said overlay usually impregnated with melamine resin, a sheet with a decorative print or colored (which is also impregnated with melamine resin) and a back composed of one or more layers of phenolic paper called kraft. The Kraft has a brownish color with turns, based on requests from black to cream typical of the raw paper, but there are laminated with kraft uniform in color as the surface and also Kraft made with layers of different colors (semi-decorative) are also produced laminates made with a kraft laminated with aluminum foil, sliced or even sheets of magnetic material (for the realization of magnetic boards).

There are two types of plastic laminate:
- HPL: stands for "High Pressure Laminate", is usually produced with flat presses in sheets of even thickness from 5 / 10 to 2 cm. It is very durable and is also used for cladding of exterior walls, bathrooms, kitchen tops and work benches and wherever it is needed a really sturdy surface.
- CPL: acronym for "Continuous Pressure Laminate" as the name suggests is produced in a continuous manner with the press roller (calender). Usually the pressure is lower and therefore the resistance is lower. It is usually produced in rolls with a leaf thickness of from 2 / 10 to 6 / 10. It is used to coat behind furnishings, doors, sides and tops that are not subject to extreme wear.

Recently the technology has allowed to obtain also from the presses in calender pressures and laminates with features comparable to those of HPL. From this was born a product known as CHPL (continuos high pressure laminate).

As the phenolic and melamine resins are thermosettings the laminate becomes rigid even at high temperatures, however, certain types of laminates specially produced soften around 180 degrees allowing the curvature. This feature is exploited mainly in the following working:
- Preforming: The panel already plated with the laminate is excavated in accordance with the desired curve, leaving intact and protruding the leaf laminate; then heating the protruding leaf proceed to folding and gluing of the laminate on the curve obtained.
- Postforming: a curve is obtained by milling a raw panel not-plated. Then will be made the bonding of the laminate surface leaving protruding. The laminate protruding is then heated and glued along the contour of the curve.

This product is also very resistant to water also boiling. If the laminate has a good overlay also highly resistant to solvents, acids, ammonia and rubbing. This makes it a material very appreciated in particular the implementation of work plans for kitchens, bathrooms, floors, hardwood floors, and desks as well as relatively cheap compared to the marble and stainless steel.

Marketplace of Cartiera Giacosa S.p.A. has developed both on the domestic front, both on the international market, with an incidence of about 70% on Italian territory and the remaining 30% for export internationally.




Contacts

Contact us at info@cartieragiacosa.it or directly at our office.